Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"The Invisible Moose" by Dennis Haseley


This was picture book that encouraged the use of your imagination.  A moose goes on a trip to rescue a girl moose who was captured.  To do this the moose has to become invisible to do so.  This story has quite a bit of text and probably a second grader could read it with a little help.  I personally enjoyed the illustrations by Steven Kellogg.  They were exquisite and truly enhanced the story.  I would definitely read this story to my students.   

1 comment:

  1. Jenn,

    Steven Kellogg! I love his illustrations. I just read a controversial book written by Steven Kellogg, called Pinkerton, Behave! I wrote about it in my blog so I think that if you get a second you should see what I have to say about it, or even check it out yourself! =)

    I had some questions; how does he become invisible? And what happened to the girl moose in the first place? It seems that this book would be good for teaching students about making predictions throughout a plot sequence. However, after reading Pinkerton, Behave! I am a little wary about selecting Steven Kellogg books for my classroom as of now. But another book I have read by him that I loved was How Much is a Million? which teaches about numbers to students, and really is a cool one to read because it shows students HUGE numbers that I bet kids would think are really cool. He is a great author and it is even better that he can illustrate his own literature.

    ReplyDelete