Sunday, March 8, 2009

At Ellis Island by Louise Peacock

This book is illustrated by Walter Lyon Krudop.  I have been very interested in Ellis Island since I went to New York and visited when I was in high school.  I was fascinated by how many people went through looking for a new life here in the US.  This book is a really good way to introduce the types of people, events, hardships, and hope that occurred during the mass migrations to America through Ellis Island.  This book tells the story a little girl's journey to America and through Ellis Island through letters she was writing to her dead mother.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow this sounds like such a powerful book. I know books like this can stir up a lot of emotion in a classroom but a lot of times that is good. I think this sort of story would be great for getting kids interested in thier reletives that came through ellis island.

    ReplyDelete